Thursday 24 October 2013

My Kinky Hair lookbook shoot

I recently came out of styling retirement to style a lookbook for my friend Louise's new hair extensions brand, My Kinky Hair.  It was a great sunny Sunday shoot with a lovely talented team, so I thought I'd share the results with you.

Louise wanted a fun and funky look to reflect her super-glam and sexy hair, so I went for a real London style - colourful and playful with a '90s urban twist.  Clothes wise this meant light-washed denim, tropical prints, heaps of gold jewellery, throwback footwear...and a little cameo from The Fresh Prince!

Here are some of my favourite images from the shoot (with a little explanation of my thoughts behind them) - would love to know what you all think!


Anyone who spent their youth watching MTV in the 90s will recognise this look.  High-waisted, stone-washed 'mom' jeans, crop top and Timms is classic Aaliyah/ Janet Jackson.

Top - Primark
Jeans - Topshop
Boots - Timberland
Belt - Stylist's own



I couldn't resist this Fresh Prince T-shirt when I saw it on the rack in Primark (Yes! Primark!).  In fact, I liked it so much I kept it for myself!  I liked the idea or pairing it with an over-sized chunky chain and clashing red (belt) and pink (skirt) - a colour combo/ accessory you could imagine The Fresh Prince wearing himself.

T-shirt - Primark
Necklace - Stylist's own
Belt - H&M
Skirt - H&M




When I saw this awesome black and white graffitied wall I knew I wanted to put together a graphic monochrome look to shoot against it.  I LOVE these palladium style boots, they took me right back to my childhood.

Dress - ASOS
Sunglasses - TOMS
Bangle - Primark
Floral socks - Pamela Mann
Boots - Primark



I can never resist a tropical print and love how the little gold buttons on this cute ditsy floral top give it a bit of an urban edge.  I'm a bit obsessed with round sunglasses too, and this pair were my ultimate shades of 2013 - round, bold and graphic - real attention seekers.

Sunglasses - H&M
Top - Topshop

No comments:

Post a Comment